17 March 2017

A partial English transcript of this video clip of March 13 ("Who is Macron really --according to himself?")


 [Yann Barthès reads off the words on the poster]
"Liberal / libertarian, universalist, progressive, ambiguous, of the right but not reactionary, of the left but not a slinger[1], neither right nor left, of the right and the left ... go ahead, now."
 "Liberal / libertarian. [pause]  I am liberal, in the political sense; in the economic sense too, even if I'm not only liberal, but I'm not liberal - libertarian in the proper sense of the term ..."
"Not on morals."
"Not totally.  But on the subjects of security, my zero tolerance, on morals, I'm not effectively for the legalization of cannabis ... I'm on the side of -- in effect, a little more, I'd say, authoritarian, maybe--"
"You're not Justin Trudeau."
"No, because I think France is not Canada.  Because I think that the Republic is not a multiple, pluralist country any longer; so I don't think myself liberal - libertarian in the true sense of the term."
"Universalist?"
"Yes, because that's the philosophy of light[2]."
"Progressive?"
"Actually, that is -- one can be --"
"Are you going to take 10 minutes on each item?  Because, if not--" [audience laughter]
"But no, you see--"
[indiscernible, with arm gesture]
"No, this is important, because that's a fight that I've decided to lead.  I'll go this week to Villers-Cotterets ... to talk about French culture and what it is to be a patriot.  And that is a fight that I want to win against the National Front, and also against François Fillon and his acolytes ..."
"The pride of French people."
"Yes.  As for the word universal, French universalism, it means you don't like France ... no.  I am a universalist, because I am a patriot.  And a patriot is somebody who likes France and its openness, and wants it to propose other things.  On the contrary, I'm not a nationalist:  those guys are nationalists.  Progressive:  completely [ticks box] ...  Progressive, it's the idea of saying -- I believe in a progress [garbled] of the left, center, right, and civil society ... ambiguous; I am not ambiguous ... no, I'm not on the right; left but not a slinger, also no, because ... actually, yes, I come from the left.  But I don't like the term slinger ..."
"You don't come from the left."
"Yes, I just said it.  I do come from the left.  Those are my convictions [garbled]"
"You say 'I come from,' but not 'I am.' "
"No, because I'm right now in the process of building a political option that goes beyond that cleavage.  I am much more comfortable with 'progressive.'  And so I'm gathering people from the left, the center, and the right who want to work together on a progressive platform."
"Would you permit me to say you're a little ambiguous?"
"No. [audience laughter] No, because I, I am progressive.  Look:  I am of the right and the left, in the movement I bring.  There [ticks box]."
"OK.  Very good."
"I'm not in the double exclusion.  I am -- I think there are good ideas on the right which are just and effective, and there are good ideas on the left that are just and effective.  Me, as a personality, I come from the left; I was in a leftist government and I confess it totally."


-----
Notes
1. The literal meaning of frondeur.  Historically, it refers to people supporting an aristocratic conspiracy against Louis XIV in the earliest years of his reign. 
2. he may have said "philosophy of the Enlightenment"  -- they sound almost identical in French.

No comments: