18 March 2017

"...as for me, I think that's useful information:  do we have pharmaceutical labs, through their directors, financing a campaign?  And do we have chemical and petrochemical industries financing a campaign?  Do we have, not firms, but managers--"
"Do they have the right to give that out?"
"Perfectly, they do--"
"The names of donors."
"Well, I'm happy to do it.  I ask all my donors to give us 2,500 [euros] at most, to give smaller amounts if they wish, but I tell them that I'll make their names public ..."

"So [the campaign is] not constructive?"
"Actually, yes, because in spite of this it's uplifting.  It's uplifting because -- the choices that'll be made by our compatriots -- there's a very nice phrase from Tocqueville that says 'in each new generation there is a little more that's new.'   And today, it means the generation that's going to vote for the first time, or -- that takes responsibility from ages 18 to 30, the active young people--"
"Do you think it excites them, voting for the first time?"
"No, but I think they have to decide what people they want to be.  What people they want to be.  In every generation there's a little more that's new.  Decide the people you want to be.  Do you want a sinister future that brings us to ... [too fast for me] ... definitively extinguished?  Do you want to continue writing the page that's been written the last twenty years:  less of a welfare state, less social protection, less protection for low earners ... [too fast] ... that hasn't worked one bit.  They're going to decide what page they want to write, and I for one find ... [too fast] ... my candidacy is about passing the witness[1].  I want to preside over the Republic so I can pass the witness to them.  I observe that other candidates, eventually, become encircled by men who, in matters political and economic, wish to hold back their hands; and they wish to keep the witness that they've held for 20, 30, or 40 years.  I want to hand it over."


Yann Barthès and Benoit Hamon in conversation

1.  Literally; "passing the baton" would be more idiomatic in English.

No comments: